1897

Mr. Sahei Ohashi, the owner of Hakubunkan, founded Hakubunkan Print Factory, the predecessor of Kyodo Printing, in Kyobashi-ku, Tatekawa-cho (now known as 6-Chome, Ginza) to print its own publications.

1898

Hakubunkan Print Factory moved to its present location (Koishikawa-ku, Hisakata-machi [today known as “Bunkyo-ku, Koishikawa”]) and its name was changed to Hakushinsha Printing Company.

1905

Hakushinsha Printing Company’s factory division renamed itself Hakubunkan Printing Company and started printing publications from other publishers than Hanshinsha.

1918

Hakubunkan Printing Company was organized into a joint-stock company.

1925

Kyodo Printing Co., Ltd. was established through a merger with Seibi-Do, a company that engaged mainly in fine art printing and was founded by Mr. Kokichi Ohashi, Director of Hakubunkan,whose president was Kokichi Ohashi. As a comprehensive printing plant, the company established a mass production system.

1932

The first laboratory of a private printing company in Japan was established. Later on, this laboratory developed revolutionary technology, including deep-etching and type-posi.

Kyodo Printing around 1932
Kyodo Printing around 1932

1935

Construction of the entire headquarters plant was completed. At the same time, the company started printing on fabric and metal, rather than on just paper, and even became known as the largest department store of printing technologies in the East.

1945

Major part of KP facilities were destroyed by air raids during World War II. Reconstruction began immediately afterwards.

1946

The Japanese Ministry of Finance Printing Bureau assigned Kyodo Printing as the national-bank-note-printing institution.of the time.

1950

Kyodo Printing commercialized vinyl and metallic tube production and printing. An 8-color photogravure rotary press which was jointly developed with Toshiba Machine Co., Ltd. was installed, and the company became known as a pioneer in multi-colored photogravure printing.

1956

Kyodo Printing commercialized wood grain décor board printing.

1960

Kyodo Printing succeeded in applying its wood grain printing technology onto metal plate.

1963

The electronic color separation system (PDI color scanner) was installed to Kyodo Printing’s production site.
Kyodo Printing was first listed on the First Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange. Kinki Kyodo Printing Co., Ltd. (the precursor of Kyodo Printing Nishinihon Co.,Ltd.) was established in Osaka as Kyodo’s commercial printing plant in the Kansai region.

1964

Odawara Plant was established in Kanagawa Prefecture as a special plant for metallic tube manufacture.

1968

Koshigaya Plant was established in Saitama Prefecture to manufacture and print on metal containers.

1972

Jyoban Kyodo Printing Co., Ltd. was established in Ibaraki Prefecture to exclusively manufacture décor printing materials.

1979

Odawara Plant commenced operations of laminate tube production lines.

1981

Tsurugashima Plant was established in Saitama Prefecture to produce business forms, securities, and plastic cards.

1982

Robotic printing equipment (palletizing robot) was developed, installed in plants, and started its operations.

1983

Kyodo Printing developed the method of gravure engraving OHG (offset heliogravure, a gravure-engraving process).

1985

Kyodo Printing started the production of railway prepaid cards.

1987

Moriya Plant was established in Ibaraki Prefecture to manufacture paper materials and flexible packaging.

1991

Wakayama Plant was established in Wakayama Prefecture to manufacture laminate tubes.

1993

Goka Plant was established in Ibaraki Prefecture as a specialized plant for publications and commercial printing.

1997

Kyodo Printing celebrated the 100-year anniversary of its foundation.

2001

Kawajima Plant was established in Saitama Prefecture to better provide information processing related services.

2002

Kawajima Plant obtained ISMS Certification.
Goka Plant was awarded The Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry's Award in the 1st Commendation of Environmental Excellence in the Printing Industry.

2003

The Kyodo Printing Group Business Behavior Charter and Code of Ethical Practice were established and implemented.

2007

Digital studio Harimazaka Studio grand open.

2008

Headquarters was granted an award by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government for its global warming countermeasures.

2010

Medical and Industrial Materials Facility Unit at the Moriya Plant was constructed.

2011

Kyodo Printing Nishinihon Co., Ltd. was established to be the group's core sales and production unit in Western Japan.

2012

KYODO PRINTING (SHANGHAI) CO.LTD. was established in Shanghai, China to be the group's core sales unit in China and the rest of East Asia, except for Japan.

2014

Sagamihara Plant was established in Kanagawa Prefecture to manufacture highly functional tubes.
KYODO PRINTING (VIETNAM) CO. LTD. was established in Dong Nai Province, Vietnam to manufacture laminate tubes in the ASEAN markets.

2017

Kyodo NPI Packaging. is established through a merger with Nippon Paper Industries Co., Ltd.

2018

TOMOWEL is introduced as our new corporate brand to mark our 120th anniversary.